When my boyfriend and I started to experiment with eating vegan, sweet potatoes became a staple in our house. We eat sweet potatoes every single week and they’re definitely a versatile meal ingredient and tasty source of fibre.
Whether you’re vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, or just looking for a simple recipe, these sweet potato steaks make the perfect weeknight side dish (or serve them as the main event with some protein-rich toppings!)
For fun, I dressed my sweet potato steaks up a few different ways.
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp fresh herbs (optional)
- 2 tbsp feta or vegan cheese
- alternatively: your choice of mushroom gravy
- Heat oven to 400F. Rinse sweet potatoes.
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch discs.
- Place onto a baking pan one inch apart. Brush lightly on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Place in oven for 20 minutes.
- In a pan, bring balsamic vinegar and maple syrup to a low boil. Simmer on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove sweet potato cakes from oven and flip. Brush balsamic mixture on top. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until potatoes brown on bottom and are soft when poked with a fork.
- For alternative flavours, skip the balsamic mixture and try your favourite bbq sauce, chipotle sauce, curry or taco seasoning. The possibilities are endless!
- Remove from oven and top with feta cheese, fresh dill or other herbs.
- As an alternative, I love to serve my sweet potato steak with mushroom gravy; whether store bought or from scratch.
- Serve and enjoy!