Sometimes you need a quick shot of energy and sugar. When I’m craving cookies or candy (my biggest vice) I love to reach for any variation of energy bite/protein ball. Whatever name you call them by, there’s no denying how tasty these guys are!
Any recipe for energy balls is pretty loose, but the following is my favourite go-to.
- 1 cup large flake oats
- ½ cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup honey or agave
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 4 tbsp cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (vegan, if desired)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine oats, oat bran, flaxseed and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in peanut butter, honey and chocolate chips. I use a rubber spatula-spoon to help ensure the texture is consistent and sticky ingredients are all smoothed in.
- Roll dough into 1.5-inch balls (or desired snacking size).
- Sprinkle shredded coconut onto a large sheet of wax paper. Roll each ball in the coconut until coated.
- Refrigerate for an hour. Serve as a quick snack or pack one for a mid-afternoon sugar boost at work 🙂