Okay friends, prepare for a delicious treat! This recipe is perfect for potlucks, serving at a child’s birthday party, or bringing to work for a fun Friday treat!
Vegan peanut butter cups check many of my boxes: they’re easy to make, require few ingredients, and the recipe is simple to do as a small-batch (or scale up as needed).
There are many similar recipes out there, and I think the key differentiator is the creamy peanut butter centre. Some prefer a lighter or crunchier filling, while others are into a mousse-like filling. Or maybe you just want pure, dense, sticky peanut butter! All are delicious.
This recipe is my current adjusted version, mostly for the desired filling and desired yield of 12 mini cups. I encourage you to develop your own perfect PB cup – Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter (I used regular peanut butter, as I find natural PB too runny for this recipe)
- 1/4 cup crisped rice cereal (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup, agave or honey (depending on your vegan diet). I use honey.
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- In a bowl, combine peanut butter, salt, honey, crisped rice and flour. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil. You could do this on the stovetop or microwave. I used the microwave: combine ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 25-second increments stirring each time until just melted. Watch carefully!
- Line a mini muffin pan with confectionary liners or mini cupcake cups.
- Drop a thin layer of chocolate in each cup (about 2 tsp – I just eyeballed it!)
- Retrieve peanut butter mixture from fridge. Roll a small ball of the mixture and then pinch to flatten. Place one peanut butter piece in each cup.
- Fill in the remaining cups with the rest of the melted chocolate until almost full. Make sure that the peanut butter is entirely covered on the top, to create that perfect Reese’s cup shape and capture all of the ridges!
- You can leave the tops plain, or decorate with crushed nuts, sea salt, or a coconut cream swirl! Get creative!
- Freeze for 20 minutes minimum. You’ll notice that when they come out of the freezer sooner than this, they’ll hold their shape to come out of the tray, but will melt easily upon contact!
- Serve and enjoy! The recipe yields 12 cups, which must be stored in the refrigerator.