I often crave comfort food or fast food-style meals on weeknights when I’m tired. While I used to indulge these cravings on an all-too-regular basis (:|) my health, slowing metabolism and wallet just can’t hack it anymore.
Thank goodness for cleaner, simpler, plant-based alternatives! This recipe is easy to make and every bit as delicious as it looks. I take a shortcut and buy a low calorie buffalo sauce from the grocery store, but I’ve linked a vegan recipe that you can whip up at home too!
Note: If you’d like to skip the flour and breadcrumbs, you can forego the “crispy” and literally just bake the cauliflower patties in the oven. I do this often – buffalo sauce on cooked cauliflower is the jam!
- half head of cauliflower
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, unflavoured coconut yogurt (or you can do vegannaise)
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp finely diced green onion
- Preheat oven to 350C.
- Mix flour, water and garlic powder in a small bowl with a fork or a whisk. Consistency should be a thick, sticky paste.
- Slice cauliflower head top to bottom into thick (1.5 inch) slices or discs. Pieces should be large like burger patties!
- Dip cauliflower into the flour/water/garlic mixture. Ensure that both sides and edges are coated.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs onto a sheet of wax paper. Roll each coated cauliflower piece in the crumbs until coated.
- Place cauliflower pieces onto a lined (or foiled!) baking sheet.
- Slice sweet potato into long skinny fries (I like to leave the skins on!). Place onto a baking sheet. Coat in olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake cauliflower and sweet potato fries at 350 for approximately 30 minutes. Flip fries every 10 minutes.
- For cauliflower: bake until until crispy on the outside and soft when sliced open with a knife. Be sure to flip halfway through!
- Combine ranch dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir until combined. Refrigerate before serving.
- Coat your crispy cauliflower patties in your favourite buffalo sauce. If you’re up for a scratch recipe, try this one from the Edgy Veg!
- Serve on your choice of bun with preferred toppings (shredded lettuce, cabbage, tomato or avocado are all nice pairings with the spicy sauce). Drizzle with ranch dressing.
Serve and enjoy!!