I’d had Minimalist Baker’s mini vegan 7-ingredient cheesecake recipe bookmarked for months, and I thought I would share the result of finally making it (which I did around Thanksgiving weekend)!
It’s no secret that Minimalist Baker can’t be beat for quick, successful recipes. True to form, I think this recipe is brilliant and its two individual components (date/walnut crust and cheesecake filling) can actually make a great base for other vegan desserts or kitchen creations 🙂
I was a little short on time (and a food processor) so I decided to skip the crust and try to just make mini cheesecake pucks, essentially. They were a hit! Super delicious and creamy, although I have some footnotes for this recipe for next time.
In typical form, here are my notes and take-aways!
- I used whole raspberries inside the cheesecakes and then topped several of them with raspberry jam which is a DELICIOUS complement to the nutty and mild cheesecake. I think the punch of sweetness and the stickiness work well, especially since I was foregoing the crust already – I needed a second texture.
- A pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg in your crust would go a long way I think (I realize how silly this is since I didn’t make a crust – but for next time).
- These didn’t ever freeze completely for me (I left them overnight), and they thaw quickly and messily. This makes storing them a little tricky, as they don’t stack. I would suggest laying them flat in a single layer – don’t mess around with wax paper!
- My choice to skip the crust was in no way meant to improve the recipe. I do think I’d prefer them with a crust, and eaten as a more traditional dessert. My fiance pulled these out of the freezer and ate them as a hand-held 😂, but that’s just because he’s a monster.
- Since the cheesecakes are chilled to set in a muffin pan, the recipe recommends using wax paper strips to help remove them. Be generous with your wax paper strips to lift the cheesecakes! I must have just made really dense, huge cakes – but thin strips will rip!
Bonus Recipe: Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Tarts
This is the ultimate marriage of recipes and brilliant repurposing of leftovers – if I do say so myself 😉
If you have leftover vegan pumpkin pie filling and/or pastry and/or leftover cheesecake “batter” try this one out!
Step 1: Make mini crusts or tart shells
You can either:
a) mix and press out some extra vegan cheesecake crusts
b) pre-bake mini crusts using your vegan pie recipe
c) use a store bought variety of tart shells (which I definitely did!)
Step 2: Add a layer of pumpkin pie filling.
Fill the tart shells about two thirds with the pumpkin pie filling. This should be the majority of the tart.
Step 3: Bake at 350F for approximately 30 minutes.
…or until pumpkin pie filling has had a chance to set.
Step 4: Add a layer of vegan cheesecake.
Pour your batter to fill the tart/cup another quarter to third of the way (depending on how large you want the tarts to be.
Step 5: Freeze for 4-6 hours.
…or until cheesecake has set. Top with a drizzle of caramel, maple syrup, or a squirt of coconut whipped cream. Serve and devour!
I love a good repurposing story! Enjoy!